The Vatican has launched an investigation into allegations of priest abuse in Argentina, which is one of three countries to receive a shipment of suspected child sex-abuse material from Rome.
The Vatican said on Thursday it had ordered the investigation to be carried out by the National Tribunal for the Protection of Children, a body created by the Vatican to look into suspected child abuse.
The tribunal is tasked with investigating allegations of sexual abuse against children by priests.
“The commission will be made up of two members, one from the Vatican and one from each country,” said the Vatican statement.
“It will be the task of the Commission to look in detail into the specific accusations of the commission.”
To date, the Commission has not received such allegations from any member of the Church.
“The investigation was launched after the commission, headed by the archbishop of Buenos Aires, reported that priests had abused more than 200 children in the past five years in Argentina and that some of the priests had been placed under investigation.”
We are very proud that the Vatican is joining forces with the National Committee for the protection of children, in order to investigate and to find those responsible for these serious and sad crimes against children,” said Argentine president Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner.”
This is a historic step in the battle against the scourge of child abuse.
“Pope Francis has been criticised for his handling of the child sex abuse scandal in the Catholic Church, which has been rocked by the disappearance of two decades of silence.